Snack Ideas For A Healthy Diet

It is generally drummed into dieters that snacking is bad and that it should be avoided when you are trying to lose weight. There is actually absolutely nothing wrong with a few snacks between a meal so long as the snack is healthy and nutritional. The mistake too many people make when on a diet is eating a very small breakfast then of course they are hungry and can’t wait until lunch so they head straight for something very high in sugar or fat to satisfy their hunger and their craving. It is far better to eat a slightly bigger, but still healthy breakfast that is going to keep you satisfied until lunch-time and to make sure you drink enough water, this wards off hunger. Although there are some snacks that you can include in your daily diet that will not interfere with the weight loss process and also stop you feeling hungry.

You do not have to be strict and never ever have any of the so-called bad treats just that these should really be limited when following a weight loss program. But not only that, excessively sugary foods are damaging to tooth enamel and foods high in fat content are bad for your cholesterol, heart and blood pressure. A good rule to follow is the 80/20 rule. Eat 80% of healthy nutritious foods and the other 20% can be anything you like. By eating a varied, balanced diet your body is receiving everything that needs and then some. You do not have to starve yourself; you just have to be a little bit more selective about what you choose to eat and how often you choose to eat it.

It is important to have these kinds of snacks on hand so you are not always tempted to reach for the cookie tin:

Dairy: Light, low fat yoghurt, cottage cheese with pineapple or strawberry and low fat-cheese, flavoured milk.

Fruit and Veg: Raw vegetables with seasoning and a fat-free dip such as sour cream, a fruit salad either with or without dipping sauce, whole wheat pitta bread with vegetables or hummus. Dried fruits such as apricots and raisins.

Savoury snacks: Low-fat tortilla chips with salsa dip, whole-grain rice cakes, low-fat popcorn, breadsticks and flatbreads. Raw nuts, preferably nuts that are un-salted, Olives, cereal bars.

Drinks: Flavoured water, Fruit juices (not fizzy), Home-made smoothies; fat-free hot chocolate. You can have usual beverages like tea and coffees just cut out the sugar and if you can stand the taste; try removing the milk in tea for a healthier beverage.

Treats: Frozen yoghurt, Dark chocolate (a lot healthier than milk chocolate!) Maraschino Cherries, Sugar-free jelly beans, dried fruits dipped in honey, Sugar-free jelly.

Advertisements

About Krave Fit Magazine

Krave Fit Magazine : The Blog will serve as the online, in your face, health and fitness support/advertisement system for the actual print version of Krave Fit Magazine. This blog will provide behind the scenes photos/videos from our shoots, information on fitness, workouts, weight loss, health, nutrition, muscle building, etc. It will be the quick fix for hard working men and women—the kind of people who take fantastic care of their bodies…while they wait for the next printed edition of Krave Fit Magazine.
This entry was posted in A Better You, You Need To Know. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s