Nutrition in older athletes can help protect the joints from age-related degeneration. Aging causes the joints to become less flexible and lose a great range of motion. These limitations can compromise physical abilities/stamina. Here are some important nutrients for older athletes:
- Vitamin C for collagen formation
- Omega-3 oils (from nuts, seeds, oily fish and wheat germ) for anti-inflammatory effects.
- Sulphur-containing amino acids (from some vegetables, meat, poultry, fish and dairy products) for joint cartilage health.
- Bioflavinoids (from all fruit and vegetables, and buckwheat) for anti-inflammatory effects and improved local circulation.
- Antioxidants (selenium and vitamin E) for protection against the damaging free radicals that proliferate in the body with age.
- Some supplements may also be helpful, but check with your doctor before trying any.