It’s that time of year again! How can we avoid putting on extra weight while having a great time? The following are some holiday eating tips so that you can still look good and be healthy in January without having to deprive yourself of all the holiday treats.
Holiday Eating Tips
1. Don’t skip meals. This backfires because you come to the next meal over hungry and eat more than intended.
2. Fill up on lower calorie, nutrient dense foods such as fruits, veggies, popcorn, lean cold cuts on whole grain bread.
3. Make just one trip to the party buffet.
4. Use a plate for even the smallest snack—you’ll eat less.
5. Eat slowly and enjoy each mouthful. Hold your glass in the hand that you normally eat with to make finger foods less accessible.
6. Eat only when you are hungry and not because food is near.
7. Don’t waste calories on foods you don’t like or foods you can have anytime.
8. Contrast flavors, textures and temperatures for more satisfaction in your eating.
9. Don’t buy candy or goodies too far ahead of event. Once purchased, keep out of sight.
10. Avoid grazing while you cook. Little nibbles can really add up! When it’s time to eat, sit down and savor it!
11. Beware of liquid calories-eggnog, beer soda, wine. They go down so easy and often do not add much nutrition to your intake.
12. Choose only the foods you really want and keep the portions small.
13. Don’t hang out near the food-socialize a distance away. This will help prevent unconscious nibbling.
14. Write a list of things to do other than to eat (such as take a walk, call a friend ordo some cleaning) to have available when you feel bored, angry, frustrated,lonely, depressed or any way that leads to cravings.
15. Be realistic: trying to lose weight during the holidays may be a self-defeating goal. Instead strive to maintain your weight.